Sitting within the Territory Group, Territory Studio is a creative specialist with a unique approach to motion design, visual effects and digital experiences. Drawing on deep expertise of narrative design for film, games and brands, we blend creative with technology to create compelling content.
Working across diverse briefs, what ties our work together is a love of craft and creative, a passion for story and a designer’s eye for problem-solving. What sets us apart is a uniquely refined design intelligence, near future expertise and a team of ambitious, focused and proactive cross discipline creatives.
Attracting talent from around the world, we have growing studios in London, San Francisco, Barcelona, Munich, Los Angeles & Vancouver. Some of our most recent work includes No Time To Die, The Batman, Dune, Swan Song and Invasion.
Other specialist projects have been Ready Player One, Bladerunner, Mank, Ghost in the Shell, Marvel's Spider-man (Miles Morales) and so much more! Please take a look at our website for a much more in-depth view of the creative projects we have worked on.
Come and join an incredible team of collaborative, creative innovators and work with some of the best people from around the world, on possibly some of the most exciting projects that span across UI, Film, TV, Technology, Commercial, Games, VR, Experimental and Broadcast.
The Operations Director will act as a commercial spine through the business, responsible for the studio’s P&L and overseeing all operational functions. Sitting alongside the Head of Production and Executive Creative Director as part of the management team, they will be instrumental in supporting, navigating and driving continued exponential growth. A proven track record of success in helping to scale creative studios is critical.
The Operations Director will help shape the commercial strategy for the studio with the SF Management Team and the Group Board. The following functions will directly or indirectly report in to this role:
- Operations and Facilities
- IT and Pipeline
- HR and Recruiting
- SF Sales & Marketing (sales function has local focus, but also connects to group endeavours)
- Local/Regional Finance (with SF based Controller)
ROLE: Operations Director
REPORTS TO: Group Board
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA (Hybrid: remote & onsite)
CONTRACT: Full-time (Exempt, 40 hours per week)
- Leverage Territory’s work, reputation and unique capabilities into a compelling value proposition. Develop messaging to attract new business with the PR/Marketing and Sales teams.
- Engage in projects of internal strategic importance -- or those which require special operational support. Participate in key internal project kick-offs and transitions, and oversee all legal documentation, contracts, and terms.
- Play an active role in SF expansion efforts including the development of new office (infrastructure) and revenue streams (commercial strategy).
- Collaborate with HR to devise a talent strategy that attracts top talent and makes Territory a preferred employer in the local marketplace. Strive for an optimal mix of staff versus independent contractors, and onsite versus remote workers.
- Participate in the studio’s annual budget preparation process e.g., quarterly financial reports. Work with Finance to reforecast and develop budgets for major initiatives, as needed.
- Own P&L and set commercial strategy to align with quarterly and yearly budgets.
- Drive top line by holding sales team to account.
- Drive bottom line by holding production team to account alongside the Head of Production and Controller.
- Orchestrate day-to-day operations to drive great client experience, employee experience, and profitability.
- Identify and act on opportunities to increase the robustness of the growing studio’s processes, culture, and teams. Plan for redundancy and succession plans.
- Provide site-based executive leadership for compliance, studio policies and risk management, along with digital and physical security efforts.
- Evaluate and manage relationships with external vendors and partners. Review client and partner legal contracts and identify appropriate opportunities for outsourcing.
- Develop and mentor direct reports and other team members. Provide performance reviews for direct reports and develop them along their career paths.
Key Skills & Experience
- Minimum of 6-8 years of operations & strategy experience at post-production studios in increasingly senior leadership and management roles
- Track record of leading and growing teams in a creative environment
- Detailed examples of implementing process improvements within a creative team environment
- Hands-on familiarity with financial reports and studio-wide budgets
- Confident demeanour and leadership presence
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills
- Must be local to the San Francisco Bay Area with the ability to be onsite in the San Francisco studio twice weekly (as a minimum)
- Ability to travel for business as needed
YOU MUST HAVE THE RIGHT TO LIVE AND WORK IN THE US
Territory Studio Inc. believes that a diverse workforce makes us a more creative and innovative business. We are committed to providing a workplace that welcomes and respects all people regardless of gender identity, sex, sexuality, disability, race, religion, background or belief. We welcome applications from people who are under-represented in our sector.
The Company requires that all individuals working onsite in the US, subject to certain limited exceptions, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The Company will consider requests for reasonable accommodations regarding this requirement